Here are some recommended questions to answer during the exercise:
Pay attention to the behavior of the individuals and groups that have gathered around you. When you understand how the individuals and groups act together you can begin to understand how to incorporate design elements that will feel natural and inclusive.
- How are individuals communicating with each other (ex. verbal or nonverbal)?
- How are they moving within the space (ex. forming a line/pattern or bumping into each other)?
- Are there any cultural traditions or traditional greetings being exchanged?
Language is how we communicate with each other. Groups tend to create informal, verbal cues that are not easily translatable in formal language. Identify these cues. When developing instructional text, audio, and video include common words, phrases, and accents to appeal to the learner.
- Listen to their conversations, what are the major discussions?
- What phrases/keywords do they use?
- How many and what regional accents do you hear?
- Are there any words or colloquialisms being repeated?
Engagement is key to increasing course completion rates. Use common social elements to incorporate into course design. These aesthetic details cultivate online learning environments that are more visually appealing and socially comfortable.
- What are common themes in the decor?
- Is there a particular color trend in clothing or jewelry?
- How many people are typically together in a group?
- How long do the groups stay together before dispersing or leaving?
- Are there any activities that they do as a group (a song, dance, or common motion)?
Use this exercise to record design elements that will appeal to the target audience. Incorporate their customary actions with activities that build on their traditional social behaviors. Develop material influenced by common linguistic accents, words, and phrases. Create a subculture inspired by familiar elements and decor. When you create an educational place that feels familiar and offers relevant learning, learners will feel more compelled to stick with it.
DREAM SEE DO TIP:
Here are some Dream See Do tips and features that will
enhance learning content and delivery for your target audience
Live-Video - Stay current and engaged with the audience with recurring, integrated, live-video chat sessions
Expressive Responses: Include response types to match familiar communication techniques
Content Blocks - Include relevant videos, audio, text, or documentation to suit targeted needs and expectations
Resource Bank - Include additional resources for more advanced learners to dive deeper
Our team can help you create and cultivate the most dynamic online learning community on the planet! Sign up today for a free 30 minute consultation ($125 value) with our Instructional Designer Lindsey, to create the most informative and engaging online course. Only 7 total slots available, so sign up soon!